one fine child

Therese. Oh my Therese. Your antics are getting sweeter and naughtier. Oh how i love you so!
I used to worry how you would react and behave when your baby brother would finally arrive. A lot of people say you'd get jealous or resentful from the divided attention your mother could only spare you from tending to your new sibling.

Yet here you are, loving your baby brother so tenderly. Kissing him. Making him laugh. And also, disturbing his sleeping patterns.

You help me by bringing me his blankets when I ask you to. You close the door so the cold wind won't enter the room. You throw his diapers on the trash except only when it has poop, you say 'yuck!' Every time you do what I ask you to, you say 'O-KAY!' It amazes me.

You have truly shown me another side of you: a caring big sister who, though so young yet and barely out of babyhood, is gaining maturity and insights. Every day you are showing me what you can do beyond of what i taught you. You surprise me darling.

Because of these, I know you are just going to be fine out in the world when you start school, when you meet a new friend, or when you scrap your knee. You adapt to changes well. And you can bounce back from fall resiliently. I am proud of you everyday.

I see a lot of myself in you too. Very sensitive. Impatient. Likes books a lot. Warms up slowly to new faces. Whether you had those traits by imitation or simply by genetics, I see in you a person so similar to me. So I want to see you grow in my very eyes.

I want you to blossom and flourish everyday. I want you to see your unique characteristics as your vehicle to success and not limitations. If you are sensitive, then use it to be compassionate for others. If you are impatient, then use it to be an effective leader. And if somehow people doubt you, prove and show them how capable you are. You are now proving some people wrong by being a loving sister and not envious or resentful. You are one fine, gentle child.

And you are a child still. Very malleable. Very soft. Very breakable. I hope i can mold you well to be smart, resilient, happy, and God-loving.

I love you my Therese. You and i have had quite a journey since you were born. I never have gotten over you being a baby until your baby brother arrived. I then started to see you are no longer a baby and you wearing diapers is quite off now. You make me see you are independent now. But I know you still need me. You still demand for my attention and literally cry to ask for reading stories, chocolates, and favorite shows. Your screams still send me over the edge and I am sorry darling whenever I lose my patience. You are still a child after all and I should not expect a grown up from you yet. You still need my gentle words, hugs, and kisses. And I'd be very glad to oblige. It is my honor and privilege.

Be strong my darling. I see a bright future in both of you and Liam.

Comments

Popular Posts